So the recipe I’m making is a super simple ice cream that you can make at home without any special equipment, just some zip top bags, ice and salt! The ingredients and preparation steps are as follows:
· 2 cups heavy cream
· 1 cup whole milk
· ½ cup white sugar
· 4 large egg yolks
· 4 oz white chocolate
· 2 cups crushed candy canes
1. In a small heavy bottomed sauce pan, heat cream, milk and ¼ cup of sugar until scalded.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together ¼ cup sugar and egg yolks until ribbons form.
3. Temper egg mixture by adding just a splash of the hot cream at a time, so as not to scramble the eggs. Once half of the cream mixture is incorporated, whisk the tempered yolk mixture back into the pan and cook over low heat for 1 to 2 minutes, or until it coats the back of a spoon.
4. Whisk in the chopped white chocolate to melt, strain through a fine mesh sieve and cool mixture completely in the refrigerator (at least 6 hours.)
5. In a heavy duty 1 gallon zip top bag, place 8 cups of ice and ½ cup of coarse salt, shake to combine. Pour chilled custard into a heavy duty 1 quart zip top bag and remove all excess air, then place inside ice/salt gallon bag and cover the whole kit and kaboodle with a towel.
6. Massage bags through the towel for 8-10 minutes or until ice cream is thick and firm. Remove the inner bag (containing your freshly churned ice cream) wipe off any excess salt and ice and add the crushed candy canes, massage briefly to mix!
7. You can enjoy your ice cream as is (soft serve) or transfer to a plastic freezer safe container to set completely and enjoy another time!